The Department of Intercollegiate Athletics sponsors 21 sports at the NCAA Division I level. All sports compete in the Big West Conference except Football (Big Sky Conference), Wrestling (PAC-12) and Indoor Women’s Track and Men’s and Women’s Swimming and Diving (MPSF). Women's NCAA Division I sports programs are: basketball, indoor volleyball, soccer, softball, cross country, indoor track and field, outdoor track and field, swimming and diving, tennis, golf and beach volleyball. Men's NCAA Division I sports programs are: football, basketball, baseball, cross country, golf, swimming and diving, tennis, outdoor track and field, soccer, and wrestling.
Under the general direction of the Director of Athletics, the Assistant/Associate Athletic Director for Compliance will support and enhance the Cal Poly Athletic Department. The incumbent will educate, oversee, enforce, and interpret conference and NCAA regulations. The position will develop, direct, supervise, evaluate, and oversee all aspects of Athletics compliance and eligibility certification in conjunction with various university officials for the 21 Division I level sponsored programs, including strategic planning, policy implementation, comprehensive rules education and monitoring systems, interpretations, waivers, investigations, and self-reporting of violations.
1. Manage the overall operations of the Athletics Compliance Office.
2. Background in and knowledge of gender equity and Title IX requirements.
3. Lead the university’s efforts to maintain institutional control by developing systems that protect and assist coaches, student-athletes, the Athletic Department, and the university in following the rules.
4. Represent the university in the area of NCAA legislation and governance.
6. Hire, supervise, direct, and evaluate Compliance staff.
7. Direct the allocation of grant-in-aid awards to ensure appropriate NCAA institutional and individual financial aid limits.
8. Lead the eligibility certification process.
9. Develop and implement a comprehensive rules education program.
10. Create and present a variety of NCAA and Compliance reports.
11. Manage the Cal Poly Athletic Compliance Policies and Procedures Manual and provide rules education and legislative updates.
12. Administer NCAA pre-season team orientation meetings.
13. Lead constituents in accomplishing their goals within the rules by conducting research and serving as the primary liaison to the NCAA national and conference offices.
14. Maintain an open door/open access policy whereby coaches, staff, and other constituents are able to seek rules interpretations before they act.
15. Lead the university’s efforts to investigate and self-report violations of NCAA and conference rules.
16. Lead the submission of waivers of NCAA and conference rules.
17. Consult internal operations staff with regards to compliance standards in the areas of Business Operations, Athletic Medicine, Equipment Room, and Human Resources.
Expertise in the interpretation and application of a wide variety of policies and procedures relating to and impacting all aspects of compliance for a NCAA Division I Athletics program.
Strong ability to educate and motivate coaches, student-athletes and other members of the University community.
Internal Number: 105389
About Cal Poly Athletics
Cal Poly is a state university with over 18,000 students. The University has a distinctive mission and is best known for its polytechnic programs. It also offers comprehensive curricula in the arts and sciences. One of the 23 campuses of The California State University, Cal Poly has built a solid reputation on its learn-by-doing approach to the preparation of undergraduate and graduate students for careers in applied technical and professional fields. The University is organized into six colleges: Agriculture, Food & Environmental Sciences; Architecture and Environmental Design; Business; Engineering; Liberal Arts; and Science and Mathematics. Nearly two-thirds of the University's students major in agriculture, architecture and environmental design, business, or engineering. Student quality is high, with applications significantly exceeding admissions. Cal Poly is located in San Luis Obispo, a city of 42,000 located twelve miles from the Pacific Ocean and midway between San Francisco and Los Angeles on California's scenic central coast. University families live in San Luis Obispo and nearby communities both on the coast and inland. Excellent recreational facilities are available, a...nd the area has an outstanding climate, with an average daily maximum temperature of 62.2 in January, 77.0 in August, and an annual average of 70.2.
CAL POLY ATHLETICS
Cal Poly operates its athletic program with integrity and in full compliance with institutional, conference and NCAA guidelines. Cal Poly sponsors 21 sports at the NCAA Division I level. All sports compete in the Big West Conference except Football (Big Sky Conference) Wrestling(Pac-12), and Men's and Women's Swimming (Mountain Pacific Sports Federation).
Men's NCAA Division I sports programs include: football, basketball, baseball, cross country, golf, swimming and diving, tennis, outdoor track and field, soccer, and wrestling.
Women's NCAA Division I sports programs include: basketball, volleyball, soccer, softball, cross country, indoor track and field, outdoor track and field, swimming and diving, tennis, golf and beach volleyball.