The Art Director (Graphic Designer-Athletics) within Intercollegiate Athletics and Recreation Services (DIARS) at the University of Delaware is a valued member upholding and embracing the departmental mission of “Inspiring Greatness Together.”
Under general direction of the Sr Associate AD, the Art Director (Graphic Designer-Athletics) is responsible for creating print and digital promotional materials for athletic teams, ticket sales and service, event presentation, event management, development and communications. This individual creates inspiring, innovative visuals that must balance the needs of all Delaware Athletics audiences and will collaborate with the External Relations team to set direction on annual creative themes to carry across all departmental and multimedia assets.
Materials developed should highlight a compelling and holistic view of Delaware student-athletes while representing the University brand appropriately, maintaining UD production standards, style and requirements, including publication, web, video, vehicle and environmental graphics in conformance with UD Brand Style Guide and in partnership with the Office of Communications and Marketing.
All members of the External Relations team commit to exemplifying the values of the Athletic Department. The External Relations team prioritizes collaboration and communication in order to achieve the highest levels of both efficiency and effectiveness.
Ticket Sales Promotional Materials (10%)
• Create internal and external web site and social media advertisements to promote season, individual game and group sales Delaware’s ticketed sports.
• Design hard-copy collateral to supplement group and season sales initiatives.
• Manage official UD football and basketball game day programs, and annual department wide publications, working with internal and external entities to compile, update and create fresh editorial content and art.
Athletic Team Collateral (15%)
• Generate season promotional materials for each of the 21 athletic teams, following a unified concept across the teams and across all items.
• Design season tickets and associated items in alignment with season collateral concept.
Digital Asset (45%)
• Create all templates, graphics and promotional ads for use on athletics web sites, social media outlets, and electronic correspondence.
• Support the Communications and Digital Strategy staff to create a consistently branded representation across our communication channels.
• Create ads, including digital, print and outdoor, for external usage that market events and support department branding.
• Produce department recognitions for various special programs as requested.
Additional Athletic Department Support (5%)
• Fulfill requests from departments within athletics, such as Human Resources, Development, athletic teams, etc.
• Design various in-house event logos in collaboration with OCM.
• In partnership with the Senior Associate Athletic Director ensure consistent and appropriate logo usage and branding implementation across the department.
• Oversee department correspondence material branding and production, including managing relationships with vendors.
Event Management (5%)
• Support event management functions by providing templates for credentials, parking passes, event staff guides.
• Bachelor’s degree in fine arts, graphic design, art or related field and four years related experience, or equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
• Graphic design experience within the sports industry.
• Knowledge of the current techniques and materials involved in various reproduction processes.
• Working knowledge of the equipment and materials used for a specific graphic application or deliverable.
• Knowledge of current graphics applications- In-Design, PhotoShop, Illustrator, as well as MS Office.
• Experience with web interfaces.
• Knowledge of the principles of artistic design, the use of color, and typography.
• Ability to develop creative and innovative ways to solve a problem.
• Ability to design, layout, and create finished art work utilizing a variety of graphics software.
• Ability to work on both PC and Mac platforms.
• Ability to prepare materials for reproduction and communicate clearly with print and production vendors.
• Ability to establish cooperative working relationships with others internally and externally.
• Strong customer service skills.
• Ability to meet deadlines in a productive manner.
• Ability to make arithmetic computations where required.
• Knowledge of current and new technologies to assist in offering design and graphic direction as well as knowledge of procurement, copyright, trademark and other relevant business policies and procedures.
• Open to receiving feedback and constructive criticism, and able to integrate it into projects.
• Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, and at times under tight deadlines.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to work with a wide range of constituents and possess outstanding interpersonal skills.
• Knowledge of After Effects and Final Cut Pro video software programs is a plus.
• Schedule flexibility – willing to work nights and some weekends as scheduled.
To Apply: For a complete list of requirements and job duties and to apply online, please visit our web site at http://www.udel.edu/udjobs. Cick “Faculty and Staff” and reference # 493934 .
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer which encourages applications from minority group members, women, individuals with a disability and veterans.The University's Notice of Non-Discrimination can be found at http://www.udel.edu/aboutus/legalnotices.html. Employment offers will be conditioned upon successful completion of a criminal background check.A conviction will not necessarily exclude you from employment.
Internal Number: 493934
About The University of Delaware
One of the oldest institutions of higher education in this country, the University of Delaware today combines tradition and innovation, offering students a rich heritage along with the latest in instructional and research technology. The University of Delaware is a Land-Grant, Sea-Grant, Urban-Grant and Space-Grant institution with its main campus in Newark, DE, located halfway between Washington, DC and New York City. Please visit our website at www.udel.edu.