About Framingham State University:
Framingham State University is a vibrant comprehensive liberal arts institution located just 20 miles west of Boston.
Framingham State University is committed to Inclusive Excellence through collaborative and sustainable partnerships with faculty, staff, students and the greater community. At FSU, we encourage a supportive, diverse and collaborative environment in which we learn from each other through informed and open communication, institutional practices and community engagement. FSU provides a culturally relevant education that includes a beautiful campus with 53 undergraduate and graduate programs, a highly personalized teaching environment, and unparalleled commitment to excellence in diversity and inclusion.
Framingham State University is honored to be recognized for the third consecutive year as a recipient of the INSIGHT into Diversity prestigious Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) award. The HEED award is the only national recognition honoring colleges and universities that exhibit outstanding efforts and success in the area of diversity and inclusion throughout their campuses.
Visit http://www.framingham.edu/careers to learn more about employment opportunities at Framingham State University.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: The Manager-Financial Controls will address two separate needs within the finance department of FSU and the Foundation, as follows: an increased emphasis regarding the fiscal oversight of FSU operations and activities, and additional financial support in the area of the FSU Foundation's financial status and activities, its accounting requirements and the maintenance of its financial records and financial database. The proration of activities will be approximately 80% monitoring and assessing the integrity of FSU's financial controls and no more than 20% Foundation accounting. This is a management-level position; the APA official classification is Staff Associate, Financial Services.
The Manager-Financial Controls will monitor and test compliance with existing internal controls, identifying internal control weaknesses and implementing corrective actions based upon findings of internal quality assurance reviews and external audits. The Manager-Financial Controls will implement education and training to ensure employees have adequate awareness and understanding of internal control standards. And will maintain and update policies in accordance with the Quality Control Bureau at the Comptroller's Office and the Internal Control Law, Chapter 647 of the Act of 1989.
This Manager will also assure accuracy of revenue and pledge posting, sub-fund transfers and reporting with regard to Foundation or Departmental Gifts and all other endowment distributions. The Manager is responsible for determining proper accounting for all transactions and reconciling the Foundation general ledger, journal entries, sub-funds, due to / from balances, investment accounts, etc. The Manager will also review or support the preparation of audit schedules, financial statements, footnote disclosure reports and filings in accordance with internal reporting needs and new FASB and GASB requirements.
This position will provide support to the Assistant Vice President of Finance and Business Services and perform additional duties as assigned.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Document and/or review the documentation of all department internal control procedures / documents; Organize and coordinate the definition/communication and monitoring of FSU's financial controls; Update flowcharts of system processes; Define risk-based review objectives and procedures; Identify and promote best practices and suggestions for efficiencies;
- Perform testing and / or review testing of internal controls; Conduct on-site internal reviews of departmental operations to ensure compliance with fiscal requirements; Identify, document and communicate control deficiencies; Assist in the process of correcting deficiencies noted; Identify internal control weaknesses and implement necessary corrective actions; Follow up and perform testing on any externally identified control deficiencies and / or audit findings; Report findings and recommendations of financial control assessment;
- Update, revise, and prepare internal controls documentation to reflect current programs, procedures, and policies; maintaining and updating policies in accordance with the Quality Control Bureau at the State Comptroller's office and the Internal Control Law, Chapter 647 of the Act of 1989; attend Quality Control Bureau trainings on Waste, Fraud and Abuse;
- Assist departments in developing and documenting policies and practices in accordance with applicable college, state, and federal rules, regulations, policies, and statues; Research regulatory requirements. Assist in the implementation of internal controls in new or changing business process.
- Implement education and training to ensure employees have adequate awareness and understanding of internal control standards;
- Record transactions for the Foundation on a quarterly basis ? reconciling cash balances, investment accounts, due/to from balances, pledges, etc. Quarterly reporting of Foundation activity and coordination of report preparation with Foundation's audit firm; Assist the Foundation and University staff and the Foundation's auditors with the year-end audit work papers.
- Assist senior management and/or the Board of Trustees with the internal coordination and follow-up of any external agency audits & reviews, risk assessments, etc.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned by the Assistant Vice President of Finance and Business Services or the Executive Vice President, Administration, Finance, and Technology.
This is a full-time, exempt, benefits-eligible position in the APA bargaining unit at the rank of Staff Associate. The salary is $80,000 to $90,000 commensurate with education and experience.
Framingham State University conducts Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) checks relative to prior criminal convictions and pending cases, as well as Sex Offender Registry Information (SORI) checks relative to prior sexual offenses committed as an adult or juvenile on final candidates prior to an offer of employment for all positions. Framingham State University requires specific written authorization to conduct background checks. Failure to provide such authorization shall preclude your application from receiving further consideration.
Framingham State University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Members of underrepresented groups, minorities, women, veterans, persons with disabilities, and all persons committed to diversity and inclusive excellence are strongly encouraged to apply.
Candidates must apply online by submitting a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information for three professional references.
For full consideration, application materials must be received by May 15, 2017.
Framingham State University only accepts application materials through our online application system. We are unable to accept application materials through mail, email, fax, or hand delivery. If you experience technical issues with the online application process, please submit a helpdesk ticket.
Framingham State University understands that persons with specific disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance, please contact the Human Resources Office at 508-626-4530 or firstname.lastname@example.org.