GATX is known worldwide as a leader in leasing transportation assets and controls one of the largest railcar fleets in the world. The key to the long-term growth and success of GATX is attracting and retaining the most talented people from around the world. We seek individuals who are creative, intuitive, driven, intellectually curious and eager to join a dynamic organization where high-quality work, collaboration and dedication are deeply woven into the corporate culture.
This role will support and recommend GATX Rail’s market growth and risk mitigation strategy on the basis of industry trends, commodity drivers, macro-economic factors, fleet mix and market players. Growth opportunities outside the core current business will also be evaluated and pursued. In addition, this role will lead various cross-functional efforts that span the commercial and operation functions, including implementation of approved growth opportunities.
- Proactively follow and report on trends for key commodities that most impact GATX’s fleet utilization. Take into consideration industry railcar supply, modal shift and other transportation factors to develop a market thesis on the specific car type. Work in coordination with Fleet Portfolio Management to develop a fleet strategy. Leverage external consulting and research firms, as and when appropriate, and manage project scope and deliverables. Attend relevant seminars and conferences to augment internal analysis and share with relevant stakeholders. Manage external data sources, inclusive of subscription costs and budget.
- Support quarterly management updates and other reporting through preparation of analyses and presentation materials on industry and economic indicators. Similarly, prepare presentations and/or analyses in support of customer meetings, earnings calls and industry events.
- Perform research and analysis on targeted growth opportunities and support development of business case. As and when these growth opportunities are approved, develop implementation/ integration plan and coordinate with commercial, operational stakeholders.
- Lead cross-functional projects, as identified. This role will assume the commercial lead role and will collaborate with other functions to accomplish business objectives. Responsibilities will be inclusive of but not limited to identifying improvement opportunities, quantifying the business case, getting stakeholder buy-in, developing and implementing a plan to capture the opportunity. To implement sustainable change, this role will need to work with various functional owners and ensure adequate buy-in from the leadership team.
The position will interact with multiple areas in the Commercial Group including Fleet Management, Structured Group, Service Delivery and Sales, and will also interface with Operations for cross-functional efforts. Interaction with Investor Relations and Risk will be on as need basis. Additionally, the position will interact with senior executives, functional leaders, and staff across GATX Rail to obtain and provide information. Maintaining industry point of contacts will be necessary to obtain external data.
Education and/or Experience required (including certifications):
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- MBA a plus
- 7+ years of work experience in a market research, strategy, business development or an equivalent analytical role
- Strong analytical skills and process orientation
- Ability to take vaguely defined objectives and propose / influence outcomes
- Tactical as well as strategic thinking ability
- Exceptional presentation and communication skills
- Strong interpersonal, project and change management skills
- Some travel required to attend conferences and/or events
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
NOTE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.