Come join a robust non-profit organization that has accomplished nothing less than the extraordinary for waterfowl and wetlands in California, fueled by the passion of its dedicated staff, volunteers and members. We’re looking for someone with the skills and experience to harness that passion and the untapped potential in our donor base to propel the organization to greater levels of achievement. Given California’s climate – both political and meteorological – the ducks are counting on us more than ever.
The California Waterfowl Association is an award-winning 501(C)(3) conservation organization with a mission to conserve the state’s waterfowl, wetlands, and hunting heritage. We have over 20,000 members and 1,500 dedicated volunteers. Our accomplishments over the past 20 years include:
- Completing nearly 1,400 projects to protect, restore, and enhance almost 490,000 acres, providing habitat for millions of wetland birds and other animals.
- Hatching more than 750,000 ducklings through our volunteer-driven California Wood Duck Program.
- Banding over 257,000 waterfowl for research that helps ensure sound management of waterfowl resources.
- Teaching almost 320,000 children, young adults, and families about waterfowl biology, wetlands ecology, and the role hunting plays in conservation.
- Successfully advocating for science-based waterfowl hunting seasons and bag limits, expanded youth hunting opportunities, funding for water for managed wetlands, and preservation of hunting and gun rights for responsible sportsmen and women.
We did all this while maintaining the highest standards for management of our resources, earning a perfect score of 100 and a 4-star rating from Charity Navigator in 2016, making California Waterfowl the highest-ranked conservation organization.
POSITION DESCRIPTION CWA is seeking an experienced, innovative, outgoing individual with a proven track record of raising funds and building brand recognition for an organization. The successful candidate should have documented success in researching, positioning, writing and winning support from individuals and family foundations at all giving levels. The successful candidate will implement and expand CWA’s fundraising strategy, with main focus on planned giving, programs and unrestricted funding, resulting in the development of a portfolio of giving of at least $1M per year.
This position reports to the president, with frequent interaction with CWA management team.
The Vice President of Advancement serves as an Executive Leadership Team member and active participant in strategic decision-making at California Waterfowl. The VP of Advancement will:
- Direct and oversee advancement operations including, but not limited to, an integrated fundraising campaign, database management, communications, resource development, grant development, and organizational coordination.
- Work with the president, CFO, and other vice presidents to develop and coordinate organizational fundraising priorities.
- Oversee the advancement of internal and external reporting functions associated with individual giving, with a focus on major gift development, and grant development.
- Assist with the development and management of an integrated fundraising plan to increase financial support for the organization’s capital, endowment, and program goals.
- Help plan marketing and communications strategies to ensure success.
- Engage in departmental and organizational strategic planning as well as budgeting.
Moderate to extensive travel, mostly within California, is required.
- Secure at least $0.5M in support in year 1, growing to $1M or more per year by year 3.
- Work with president, board of directors, and fund development team to develop, diversify and execute CWA’s fundraising strategy for individual donors and family foundations.
- Perform research, cultivation, positioning, proposal writing.
- Hold meetings and prepare president and board members for meetings with high net worth individuals and family foundations.
- Prepare and submit fund development pipeline reports.
- Use DonorPerfect, Constant Contact, and other donor databases and marketing tools.